Monday 2 December 2013

Height Maps & Displacement

After trying to build my own terrain from scratch and failing miserably I chose to do some research. With that I found this video online [LINK]. It taught me how to use the displace tool for creating a terrain and after searching through for what I considered to be an appropriate map this was the final product.


I think I'll probably end up creating my own map later today as I would like the edges to be slightly raised to avoid the animation allowing blackness through although I may try using the same technique as I did for space to avoid this. One major downfall for this technique is the polygon count as to keep the level of detail I had to make the map 75 x 75 and I still think some detail was lost so this is a costly tool but worth while for the level of detail you attain.

No comments:

Post a Comment